It’s turning into more and more widespread to search out multi-brand franchisees of international manufacturers worldwide. This can be on the native or regional stage, nation stage, or perhaps a multi-country stage. It is a main pattern we see within the U.S. and more and more in EU international locations. These franchisees are also known as MUMBOs: multi-unit, multi-brand operators.
Worldwide multi-brand franchisors
Franchisors with a number of manufacturers possess a number of benefits: economies of scale with shared administration, help, coaching, advertising and marketing, provide chain, know-how, and actual property sources. As they construct their worldwide presence throughout a number of manufacturers, they’ll afford the price of putting regional help individuals internationally to offer localized, real-time assist to their licensees in a number of international locations. A portfolio of various manufacturers may help a multi-brand franchisor fare higher in financial downturns. Listed here are just a few examples.
- Brinker—1,600 eating places in 32 international locations and territories (Chili’s, Maggiano’s Little Italy, and digital manufacturers It’s Simply Wings and Maggiano’s Italian Classics)
- CKE Eating places—3,800 eating places in 43 international locations and territories (Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s)
- Focus Manufacturers—7 manufacturers, 1,650 places in 60 international locations (Auntie Anne’s, Carvel, Cinnabon, Jamba, McAlister’s Deli, Moe’s Southwest Grill, and Schlotzsky’s)
- Franchise Manufacturers (U.Ok.)—600 franchisees throughout 6 service franchise manufacturers within the U.Ok., North America, and Europe (Metro Plumb, Filta, Oven Clear, Barking Mad, and The Handyman Van)
- Encourage Manufacturers—7 manufacturers, 32,000 eating places, 650,000 staff, 3,400 franchisees, 70 international locations (Arby’s, Baskin-Robbins, Buffalo Wild Wings, Dunkin’, Jimmy John’s, Rusty Taco, and Sonic)
- Marriott—30 lodge manufacturers, 8,000 properties and roughly 1.48 million rooms in 139 international locations and territories
- Neighborly—29 residence service manufacturers, 5,000 franchisees, 9 international locations. The group has operations in North America, the U.Ok., and Germany. Neighborly was based in 1981 by Don Dwyer and was referred to as the Dwyer Group till 2018.
- Restaurant Manufacturers Worldwide—29,000 eating places in additional than 100 international locations (Burger King, Tim Hortons, Popeyes, and Firehouse Subs)
- Xponential Health—10 manufacturers, 2,100 studios, 11 international locations (manufacturers embody Membership Pilates, Pure Barre, Cyclebar, and BFT)
- Yum Manufacturers—54,000 eating places in 155 international locations and territories (KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and Behavior Burger)
Worldwide multi-brand franchisees
Subsequent, let’s take into account just a few of the world’s multi-brand franchisees. Once more, they profit from economies of scale with shared administration, help, coaching, advertising and marketing, provide chain, know-how, and actual property sources throughout borders. Main benefits embody their capacity to lift capital and to unfold their danger in financial downturns.
- Alsea—18 manufacturers, 4,200 eating places, 11 international locations, 60,000+ staff with licenses for Domino’s Pizza, Burger King, California Pizza Kitchen, Chili’s Grill & Bar, Italianni’s, Pei Wei Asian Diner, PF Chang’s China Bistro, Starbucks, The Cheesecake Manufacturing facility, and Vips. Alsea is predicated in Mexico and has licenses throughout Latin America and in Spain.
- Alshaya Group—90 manufacturers, 16 international locations, 4,000 shops, 60,000 staff. Alshaya has a broad vary of licenses that embody Starbucks, H&M, Mothercare, Elevating Canes, P.F. Chang’s, The Cheesecake Manufacturing facility, Shake Shack, The Physique Store, Victoria’s Secret, Boots, Pottery Barn, and KidZania. Alshaya was based in 1890 (not a typo!) in Kuwait, lengthy earlier than franchising entered the Center East area. Right now the corporate has shops of franchised manufacturers within the Center East, North Africa, Turkey, and Europe.
- Americana Group—20 manufacturers, 20 international locations, 55,000 staff with manufacturers below license equivalent to Hardee’s, TGI Fridays, Krispy Kreme, Pizza Hut, KFC, and Wimpy. Primarily based in Kuwait, Americana operates within the Center East North Africa (MENA) and the Commonwealth of Unbiased States (Japanese Europe and Asia). The corporate additionally has 19 meals manufacturing amenities throughout these areas that assist with provide chain.
- AmRest—9 worldwide manufacturers, 2,400 eating places in 20-plus international locations (European Union, U.Ok., and China) with manufacturers equivalent to Starbucks, Blue Frog, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Burger King. Entrepreneur Henry McGovern began AmRest in 1993 in what was referred to as Japanese Europe. AmRest has progressively acquired extra manufacturers, expanded throughout the EU, into the U.Ok., and is now a serious participant in China.
- The Bistro Group—12 native and worldwide manufacturers, 200-plus eating places within the Philippines. The group is the Philippines’ nation licensee for TGI Fridays, Watami, Buffalo Wild Wings, Italianni’s, Texas Roadhouse, El Pollo Loco, Bulgogi Brothers, Denny’s, and Olive Backyard. The corporate began in 1997 because the nation licensee for TGI Fridays. Right now it has its personal commissaries, hen farms, and cattle ranches.
- The Minor Meals Group—2,200 eating places working in 27 international locations with manufacturers owned or below license that embody The Espresso Membership, The Pizza Firm, Swensen’s, Sizzler, Dairy Queen, Burger King, and Benihana. Began by an American, Invoice Heinecke, in 1980 in Thailand, the corporate has 160 inns, greater than 400 retail places, and 60,000 staff throughout Asia, the Center East, Europe, and the U.Ok.
The underside line
Elevated world franchise growth, economies of scale, provide chain points, capital wants, and actual property prices all are resulting in the emergence and development of multi-brand worldwide franchise teams at each the franchisor and franchisee ranges.
William Edwards is CEO of Edwards International Providers (EGS) and a world advisor to CEOs. EGS provides an entire worldwide operations and growth resolution for franchisors primarily based on expertise, data, a staff on the bottom in additional than 40 international locations, and trademarked processes primarily based on many years of problem-solving. Contact him at [email protected] or +1-949-224-3896. Learn his newest biweekly world enterprise publication at geowizard.biz.
Share this Function
feedback powered by